ETMods.net

N!tmod, a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Modification!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

You can donate to help us keeping services online.

#1 19-Jul-16 19:49:47

N!trox*
Administrator

Time to move on...

Hello there.

Lot of people seem to wonder what happened to N!tmod since the 2.3.1 release, so here's my long-waited response.

At first, I started this project in 2009 to learn development by myself.

And then, it slowly became bigger and bigger, so my motivation to learn and try new things increased.

But with time, life changes...

The mod's popularity decreases, other mods appear, with bigger teams and more experience.

I haven't heard of 7Killer for at least a year, and Nico$ even longer, which means I've been working alone on this project for a while, and it's not always easy.

You find a full time job and then realize the free time you have is too precious to be wasted writing pages of code for a project that will most likely die in the next few months (or years, maybe?).

So yeah, there we are now.

I have a strange feeling as i'm going to write this, even though I had pretty much given up on all of this but... I think I can now clearly say that N!tmod's development is over. smile sad

Unfortunately, I'm not planning to release the source code because right now it's a mess (tbh, i'm not even sure the mod would run if I compiled it...) and it would be too much work to clean it up, etc...

I'm not planning to let anyone take over the project either.

Maybe 7Killer and Nico$ will come back to the ET scene and keep working on it, but I will most likely not have time to help them.

However, I'll try to keep etmods.net online as long as possible for those who are still running N!tmod and want to discuss about it and/or help each other with the setup and everything.

Thanks to all of those who trusted me and supported me since I started this project in 2009. It means a lot even though it was a virtual life experience.

I've learned a lot, a god damn lot! I didn't even know how to code a "Hello world" console app back when I started the project... ^^

During these almost 6 years of development, I've met a lot of players, developers, admins, from all over the world.
Some of them I could barely understand because they had a hard time speaking english, but I tried my best and I thank them for all these good times online smile
Some awesome server admins who were always ready to test the latest build even if it would completely crash their server (especially ETc Jay, #LsD WoL, |ES| Grandad tongue) to help me figure out what was wrong and fix the bugs to move forward to a new release !
I've also met a few haters, but hey, what would be an online game experience without a few of 'em tongue

I apologize to those who were still hoping for a 2.4 release and further.

I will probably check the forums some times, to see what's going on, if anything ^^

Regards.

N!trox*

iluvnitmod.png

#2 20-Jul-16 19:17:03

yourdog

Re: Time to move on...

So here it ends sad

NO OFC NOT big_smile we still are happy to have what we have now N!tmod 2.3.1, thanks for this wonderful mod as it is.

Thank you N!tmod team for this wonderfull mod, thank you N!trox for keeping this forum online.

i understand that u don't want to release the code its "YOUR MOD and its the best so far ever made imo.

THANKS for these wonderfull years we already had with N!tmod and hope more will come big_smile

#3 22-Jul-16 06:11:19

jay1110
BETA Tester
Website

thanks for your hard work nitrox, i will keep the mod, because all other mods doesnt run well with my high amount of maps and custom settings.

#4 12-Aug-16 00:50:39

Exagone313
BETA Tester

Can you give the sources just for us (ETc - and maybe other active servers as well), so we can fix the bugs? We won't realease it if you don't say so. If other active servers have developers, can be good to group. Because we are used to nitmod, and it will be easier to fork it than other mods where priority will be to recreate existing features.

#5 28-Aug-16 11:24:25

C!es..
BETA Tester
Website

Thanks you for hard work Nitrox, i wish you all the best.

#6 13-Sep-16 13:12:33

xxandi
Website

Thank you for your nice work smile

Trackbase

#7 25-Sep-16 08:05:33

jay1110
BETA Tester
Website

smile copy paste that link, doesnt work in other way. 

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/22853-www-nitmod-com-(n!tmod)?p=380206&viewfull=1#post380206

and you should give access to all for the beta forum.

Last edited by jay1110 (04-Oct-16 19:25:59)

#8 04-Oct-16 19:28:50

Exagone313
BETA Tester

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.p … post380206

Nitrox_ wrote:

Oh and by the way, if the project ever stops, i'll open source it

Posted 5 years ago.

Last edited by Exagone313 (04-Oct-16 19:29:20)

#9 04-Oct-16 20:15:32

N!trox*
Administrator

That's right, 5 years ago.
I've changed my mind since then.
I'm starting a new job soon, as a computer technician, with more free time, maybe i'll start working on it again, who knows.

iluvnitmod.png

#10 04-Oct-16 22:43:04

Exagone313
BETA Tester

I'm learning C, then I will look into legacy mod code to see how it works (will probably be painful, need to draw schema). I'll be glad to help you.

EDIT: Oops, just saw nitmod was coded in C++...

If I have to work on a different mod than nitmod, I would base on legacy that is highly developed for now, and comply with GPL. I'd like to know how things are done, and try to implement them in C. The major things to do are double jump (nitmod or jaymod style), fast shot, shot underwater and while leaning (and optionally tripmines and limited friendly team interaction). It has an anti-wallhack and cvar enforcement, and md5 is still better than base64 for identifiers. I believe anti-wallhack and checking player moves are the only things not by-passable for an anti-cheat system.

This is an if. I have other things to code also.

Last edited by Exagone313 (04-Oct-16 23:02:46)

#11 05-Oct-16 19:32:05

N!trox*
Administrator

The only C++ in nitmod is the omnibot interface, all the rest is C.

iluvnitmod.png

#12 05-Oct-16 22:17:26

Exagone313
BETA Tester

Oh it's nice. I just looked the shared object with ldd, didn't try more.
We'll talk about this in a few months.

Last edited by Exagone313 (05-Oct-16 22:17:52)

#13 07-Oct-16 09:17:24

diabolik

N!trox* wrote:

That's right, 5 years ago.
I've changed my mind since then.
I'm starting a new job soon, as a computer technician, with more free time, maybe i'll start working on it again, who knows.

Hello Mr The Creator, good luck with your new job !

760222.jpg

#14 04-Nov-16 02:00:41

Exagone313
BETA Tester

I started to work on my mod, based on legacy, etbloat. I'd like to see nitmod code to port things or check how different things are.

EDIT (fr): Plus précisemment, j'aimerais récupérer le fichier game/bg_pmove.c, pour récupérer le double saut.

Last edited by Exagone313 (04-Nov-16 15:12:02)

Board footer